Re: [ezjail] ZFS? [WAS] Re: Problem with "archive" command in 3.0b

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Philipp Wuensche wrote:

There is a new ezjail-admin version at
http://outpost.h3q.com/patches/ZFS-ezjail/ezjail-zfs/ezjail-admin in
which I implemented just that!

I introduced a new jail-image type "zfs", so you can create a ZFS jail
like that:

ezjail-admin create -c zfs foobar 127.0.0.1

If you have created your ezjail setup with ezjail_use_zfs="YES" in
ezjail.conf, it will use zfs commands to create, delete and rename the
jail. If not, a ZFS filesystem is created and delete with zfs but the
freebsd-userland is copied via dump&restore.

Oh and I make use of the mountpoint property instead of creating
softlinks in the ezjail rootdir.

Upgrading between ezjail_use_zfs="YES" and "NO" is not possible by ezjail.

I think this is a good and flexible "design".

Btw., my guess is, if someone manages basejail in ZFS he already uses
ZFS and there is no advantage of _not_ managing the jails in ZFS too. So
the second scenario is very unlikely and maybe I only need to take care
of the first!?

I took care of both scenarios. ;-)

Kudos! :-)

Thanks for these new features.