Re: [ezjail] Roadmap for ezjail

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Dirk Engling <erdgeist AT erdgeist DOT org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> although I do have little time at the moment, I still closely follow
> this list and will address all archive issues soon. It is correct that I
> shouldn't have put the archive feature into the release without more
> tests. It has shown that my quick fixes were not as successful as they
> should've been.
>
> However, once I'm diving into the code again I'd like to take a look,
> how to make the most of all the new shiny rc.d/jail features without
> breaking ezjail on older systems. So here's a list of things I consider
> worthy putting into a next release of ezjail. Feel free to add issues I
> might have missed.
>
> Bugfixes:
> * address the archive problems
> * handle image jail file system inconsistencies more clever (fsck -y)
> * address the /usr/share/skel issues
>
> Features:
> * include Philipps ZFS patch (did I just miss your feedback?)
> * sparse image jails (probably with a cleanup function to counter
> fragmentation)
> * include FIB routing
> * nicknames for jails, i.e. you can skip the less specific parts of the
> domain such as the TLD, as long as the more specific remaining part is
> unique

This last one would have the most impact on my day-to-day activity.
The trick I use is to cd to /usr/jails so I can use the shell's tab
completion to name the jail (after hitting backspace to delete the
terminal / character):

# ez<tab>
# ezjail-admin console fish<tab>
# ezjail-admin console fish.example.com/<backspace>

It would be nice if the console command could be abbreviated to c or
con. I realize I could use shell aliases for this -- just an idea.