Re: [ezjail] Problem with "archive" command in 3.0b

Graham Todd schreef:
Dirk Engling wrote:

Robert Clemens wrote:

I believe I ran into that before.
Maybe instead of storing the info about the archive in the filename
there might need to be a .txt file associated with the
archive that contains all relevant info.

That'd require a temporary location to store stuff to. I don't need that
with the current solution. However using posix instead of ustar will
solve the issue.

So the fix is to change the archive format used in the archive functions
in ezjail-admin ie. where it says:

pax -wzXt -x ustar

correct?

If so, to which pax format should the "-x ustar" bit be changed? cpio?
Both cpio and ustar are IEEE Std 1003.2 ... i.e. POSIX.2 but cpio handles
longer paths ... which maybe could be an issue if there are long paths in
the jail too, so perhaps this is a good "bug" to discover now.

I already reported this issue 4 months ago. Glad to hear other people are having the same issue. In my report I suggested the same solution:

Luckily, this problem can be avoided I think. By not using the default
archive format for the pax util (ustar), but one of the other available
formats: cpio, bcpio, sv4cpio or sv4crc. But not tar, since it has a 100
character limit on pathnames. *Which one should be chosen is dependant on
the features of the format and the features needed by ezjail, I'll leave
this to the author or someone else on this list.* See 'man pax' for more
details.

So, anyone with insight in this, please pick one! :) I will happily test it! (I've got some jails with pretty long names that are ideal for testing this!)
Can we hack our own ezjail-admin files or should we wait for a fix and/or
a new beta release! :-)

I guess we can start experimenting with other formats ourselves. What keeps me from doing this though is that I don't know if the format is specified in other tools/routines as well and if they might be dependant on this specific format.

Greetings,

Michiel