Re: [ezjail] Archive/Restore: File name too long for ustar format

Hi Dirk,

Have you been able to take a look at this yet? I'll give you the problem description here again, in case you lost it in your filters :)

If you can figure out which alternative archive format would probably be best, I'm willing to help test it out!

Michiel
---
One suggestion for improvement however, on the archive/restore function.
Right now it seems to use the pax utility, with the 'ustar' archive
format. That ustar format however is limited to 250 character pathnames,
giving me problems, even at the very start, when archiving:

pax: File name too long for ustar
prop.ezjail-LONGJAILNAME-200809291125.13-LONGHOSTNAME-6.3_RELEASE_p4-i386
Error: Archiving jail failed.
 You might want to check and remove
/usr/local/backup/jails/LONGJAILNAME-200809291125.13.tar.gz.

I fear this prop.XXX file is a file created by ezjail, containing
valuable information for the restore functionality? Thus making this
backup rather useless, since automated restore by ezjail will not work
anymore? I also see this problem for other (normal) files in an other
jail, thus creating an incomplete backup of my jail.

Luckily, this problem can be avoided I think. By not using the default
archive format for the pax util (ustar), but one of the other available
formats: cpio, bcpio, sv4cpio or sv4crc. But not tar, since it has a 100
character limit on pathnames. Which one should be chosen is dependant on
the features of the format and the features needed by ezjail, I'll leave
this to the author or someone else on this list. See 'man pax' for more
details.
---

Dirk Engling wrote:
Michiel Detailleur wrote:

I'm gonna bump this question if you guys don't mind :)

Please tell me if the problem is not clear or if I should give more
information. I'm willing to help test anything you want me too!

Ouh, sorry, thank you for your report, I missed you mails completely
after trying out a new mail filtering setup.

I'll come back to you soon.

Michiel Detailleur
Medewerker Webtoepassingen

Scouts en Gidsen Vlaanderen vzw