Re: [ezjail] ezjail userland out of date with host

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Werner Thie <werner AT thieprojects DOT ch> wrote:
Just out of curiosity I did this on a server with 9.1-RELEASE-p3 and got

# ezjail-admin update -U -s 9.1-RELEASE
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base world/doc world/games world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
src/src

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p3 from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p3 from update2.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p3 from update5.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p3 from update3.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

which seems after all reasonable, because there is no 9.1-RELEASE-p3 in existence on the mirrors. What's the best way to sail around this cliff?

# ezjail-admin update -i -P

Thxs, Werner

Hey I'm no expert but wouldn't you want to do something like # ezjail-admin update -U -s 9.0-RELEASE instead? The command is asking for the version of the basejail that you need to upgrade *from*, and so if your host is running 9.1-RELEASE-p3 already, then what version of userland is running in your basejail? If it's 9.0 then change the command to reflect this and it should put your basejail back in sync.

Here an example I came across for my own server recently:
# uname -a
FreeBSD mercury.localdomain 8.4-RELEASE (trimmed output)
#ezjail-admin update -U -s 8.4-RELEASE
freebsd-update: Cannot upgrade from 8.4-RELEASE to itself

Which makes sense now...

The one trick I haven't figured out yet is a reliable way to determine what version of userland is in the base jail.