Re: [ezjail] ezjail-admin update -u

Hello,

That's two months after the fact, but better late than never...

Le lundi 28 février à 21:58, Dan Naumov a écrit :
> Am I missing something or is "update -u" completely undocumented? I see a
> mention of it on the main site:
>
> --------------------
> "ezjail-admin update does not (re)build the whole world by default,
> anymore. You have to provide -b (buildworld, installworld), -i
> (installworld only) or (as a new option) -u to use freebsd-update to
> update your base jail."
> --------------------
>
> but neither the manpage nor running "ezjail-admin update" for listing
> the options mentions it in any way and I do have ezjail-3.1 on my
> system. Where can I read up more on this functionality?

I recently helped Dirk update the man pages, and this is now documented
in the CVS version of the man pages. In short, you do :

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
ezjail-admin update -u

(actually, I think you don't need to update the host first.)

>                                                         I want to
> update a 8.0 system with a few jails to 8.2 and this would come in
> quite handy.

There is *updating*, that is applying erratas and security patches (such
as the mountd bug discovered a couple of days ago), and there is
*upgrading*, that is going from 8.0 to 8.2. For the first thing, use
'update -u'. For the second, there is 'update -U', which is in CVS, but
is not ready for production use I'm afraid.

However, since 'update -U' is just a glorified wrapper around
freebsd-update with some checks, you may try to do :

freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.2-RELEASE
freebsd-update install
reboot			# Install the new kernel on the host and boot it

freebsd-update install  # Install the new userland on the host

vi /etc/freebsd-update.conf # Remove `kernel' from `Components'
UNAME_r=8.0-RELEASE freebsd-update -r 8.2-RELEASE -b $ezjail_basejail \
	upgrade install

Note that I had a handful of files that failed to install because
freebsd-update didn't create their parent directory --I don't know
whether that's a bug in freebsd-update.

--
Fred