Re: [ezjail] updating ezjails

On Nov 27, 2007 11:32 AM, Don Munyak <don.munyak AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> re: updating ezjails .. mildly confusion
>
> I have updated the host system, with jails turned off, using:
> # portsnap fetch && portsnap update
> # portsnap update
> # portversion -v -l "<"
> # portupgrade -varRPP
> # portupgrade -varR
> and finally
> # portupgrade -v {some stubborn port}
>
> This gets my host system upto date.
>
> Now I have three ezjails I'd like to update.
>
> 1. Some of the common ports {autoconf} are not updated in the jail.
> - Do I need to run the same steps above to update the ports in each jail? ..or
> - Do I simply run # ezjail-admin -i update ??
>
> 2. Some of the ports in the jails are not in the host system {apache, perl}
> - How do I update these ??
>
> 3. Also, when I tried to figure this out by myself, I ran;
> # portsnap fetch && portsnap update
> - From within a ezjail and it tried to download a 45MB file, as if I
> was starting from scratch again.
> - I gues I presummed that once the host system ports tree was upto
> date, there would be no need to run portsnap from within a given jail.
> IS THIS TRUE ??

Almost.... You need to run 'ezjail-admin update -P' to update the
ports tree for all of the jails. Then you can use portupgrade in each
jail to update the individual applications.

> So Basically (because I'm a n00b),
> 1. How do I update the ports/packages in each jail?
> 2. So what does 'ezjail-admin -i update' do, aside from 'make installworld'.
> - what exactly is installworld

Installworld is one of steps in updating the FreeBSD Operating System
from source. It installs all of the userland components of the OS.
Look in the handbook for more details.

Hope that helps,
  Kelly