Re: [ezjail] install 60 jails

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Marcin Gryszkalis wrote:

I wonder why can't you mount /usr/local via nullfs, just like you do with
basesystem? sure - there would be few exceptions (/usr/local/etc to name one)
that have to be writable by jail and cannot be shared but - why do you want to
have 60 copies of these libraries etc.?

I have not drawn the line where to split ezjails world randomly. There are parts of the FreeBSD operating system that are static and sharable. You can get a raw impression about what those parts are in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard [1]. Historically there have always been reasons to allow certain subsystems to be shared and similar reasons to not expect them to be writable.

ezjail aims to keep to these standards. /usr/local is per definition a local and unsharable part of the world. While there is nothing that stops you from sharing /usr/local between jails, the ez way would rather go for something like /opt. I already thought about that, but currently I am working on restore.

Regards

  erdgeist

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.pdf