ezjail best practices

Hello,

I've been playing with ezjail for the past few days, and I think it's great, and want to use it to start virtualizing similar instances of web servers we are currently running on separate hardware.

I'm not sure yet how many jails per box I'm going to do yet, but let's say for argument that I was to run 5 jails on each box, each running exactly the same software (apache, postgresql-client, emacs, bash, stunnel......etc.), but each configured differently for the clients:

What is the best way to install the ports and keep them up-to-date if all jails should be the same?

I've figured out how to install the ports collection into basejail so that they are available to each jail and can install a port from that point into a jail, but if there is a way to streamline this, I would like to start off on the right foot.

Would it make sense to install packages (ports) into basejail, and if so, how?

Or is there a better way to approach this?

Should I be looking at flavours instead, or is flavours intended for config files only? And if I do set up the packages in a flavour, how to best keep current, because if I understand correctly, a flavour template is only used during the creation of the jail.

Thanks for any feedback!

-DW