Re: [ezjail] Requesting help configuring snmpd from within ezjail.

On Apr 4, 2007, at 11:25 PM, Don Munyak wrote:

short-version so as to not bore you.
Requesting help configuring snmpd from within ezjail.

I am building a FreeBSD-6.2 system
I have read about and setup a few ezjails lately on a test box.
A couple of application bundles I'd like to provision into an ezjail are;
- Mail::Toaster | https://www.tnpi.biz/wiki/Mail_Toaster
- Nagios
- Hobbit
All require* snmpd to be running

* actually snmp is optional for mail::toaster.

I can't seem to get it to function properly from a Jail.

http://www.tnpi.net/wiki/Run_Mail_Toaster_in_a_FreeBSD_jail

That works for me, and I run my Mail Toaster in a jail.

I did find a 'solution', which would allow me to ping out from jail,
but snmp still doesn't function correctly

for ping in jails, edit sysctl.conf for JailHost machine
 add to sysctl.conf: security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=1

From the wiki at Mail::Toaster, I found this snippet:
"For snmpd to work you need the proc filesystem mounted!
mount_procfs proc /jail/proc"
but, I'm too much of a n00b to be able to translate this.

Start with "man mount_procfs"

So, again, the help I need is with configuring snmp to function within a jails.
I don't mind continuing my search...I just need help being pointed in
the right direction.

After reading the man page, try running the command with the appropriate invocation. Something like:

   mount_procfs proc  /usr/jails/NAME/proc

would likely do the trick.

You could also just edit the ezjail config file for the jail with appropriate settings and restart the jail:

  # grep proc /usr/local/etc/ezjail/toaster
  export jail_toaster_procfs_enable="YES"

Matt