Re: [ezjail] Multiple basejails (per arch/version)

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, org.erdgeist.ezjail AT coreland.ath DOT cx wrote:

On 2009-11-18 20:28:11, Mats Dufberg wrote:

You have reached the limit of jails. All jails share the same kernel as
the host. What you ask for is virtualization on a deeper level. You have
to look for some other solution.

I think you've misunderstood.

The jails all run the same kernel, yes, but use different versions of the
userland. This is used by tinderbox, for example:

 http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/

...to compile packages for different versions of FreeBSD on the same host.

It's just a matter of being able to select which basejail you want to
use for a jail (although creating the initial basejail requires compilation).

I'll just chime in and say that I'm doing similar stuff. I do start with a full 7.x basejail though and basically throw in /usr/local stuff. It's an odd hybrid, but it's a quick way to migrate an old server running an old OS onto something newer. For example, I've got a 7.2 amd64 host that's running a jail full of 4.8 32-bit binaries/libraries. It works quite well - I just dropped my 4.8 libs in their own directory, added them to the ldconfig32 search paths and it "just works".

I also have an older experiment around that is basically a full 4.11 base inside a jail, but that predated my use of ezjail.

In my case, I'm not concerned about updating the basejail though since these ancient jails are basically frozen in time until they get taken out of service.

Charles