Re: [ezjail] Not getting it ... yet ? :) (ez jail setup)

> First thanks a lot for your work and this seeminlgy awesome tool.
> Seemingly because after much reading and checking on the web and reading
> the man page...
> after customizing the ezjail.conf file ....
> I get odd results ... and are probably ...
>
> Not getting it. ;(
>

> I have a freebsd-stable tree that I know to be "stable" for me.
> I want to build my jails from it.
> I specified my /usr/src directory in ez-jail.conf
> but the "ezjail-admin install" keep trying to fetch the sources from FTP
> ????? why ? (I know it is the sources since it fetches the .a compressed
> source files)
> I certainly do not want my jails to be build upon another stable source
> tree than the one I run my kernel On ....
>
> I have read in the man page that I can specify a file:// ... argument but
> I do not know where exactly in the conf file...
> Is it in the conf file in ezjail_ftphost ? (looks strange to me) or is it
> only for the -h command line option ?
> Do the file:// line needs to be "file:///usr/src" ? but that looks odd
> given than I already gave my source tree in "ezjail_sourcetree"...
>
> Basicaly I have a source tree and port tree in sync and I want my base
> jail to be build from that and thus the jails instances ...
> No network access should be necessary for that in my case right ?
>
> Last question,  I have cvup my ports and I read that you should not use
> cvup and portnsap at the same time to keep your port tree updated ....
> (but not why)... so what should I do.
> Am I wrong to assume that with a STABLE source tree one should have the
> "same day" STABLE port tree and keep to that ? and that portupgrade know
> how to keep up in sync even a STABLE port tree ?
>
> I am more than willing to explain my misunderstanding to help improve the
> help or docs or man pages.
>
> I have a good obenBSD background but I am back on freBSD mostly because of
> the Jails feature.
> I say to explain that I can understand most things, I know as an
> moderately skilled admin what the things are (alias, kernel, ports,
> building world, configuring pf etc etc) but I lack the freebsd background
> to know how things are done and the implied assumptions that come with it
> So that could make me a good guinea pig for the man pages and docs....
>
> Thanks a lot for you time.
>
> Have a nice day or night :)
>
> X.
>

> PJ : my the ez-jail.conf file
> # ezjail.conf - Example file, see ezjail.conf(5)
> #
> # Note: If you alter some of those variables AFTER creating your first
> # jail, you may have to adapt /etc/fstab.* and EZJAIL_PREFIX/etc/ezjail/*
> by
> # hand
>
> # Location of jail root directories
> #
> # Note: If you have spread your jails to multiple locations, use softlinks
> # to collect them in this directory
> [...]

I never used ezjail-admin install.
Use ezjail-admin update -i to use the /usr/src tree
Make sure you do a buildworld cycle first.
then use ezjail-admin create to create the real jails
look here for some more info
http://www.scottro.net/qnd/qnd-ezjail.html

Johan Hendriks