Re: [ezjail] Re: mergemaster

Panagiotis Christias schreef:
Hello all. I still can not get mergemaster working on my FreeBSD 7.2 and
up systems.

also if i create new jails with ezjail on 7.1 it all works, if i do that
on the 7.2 and 8.0 Beta1 system i still get the mergemaster error.

install -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/src/etc/../sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC.hints
/var/tmp/temproot/boot/device.hints

*** Beginning comparison

*** Checking /usr/jails/jail1//etc/rc.d for stale files

*** No stale files found

*** There is no installed version of ./boot/device.hints

install: mkdir /usr/jails/jail1//boot: File exists install:
/usr/jails/jail1//boot: No such file or directory *** FATAL ERROR: Unable
to install ./boot/device.hints to /usr/jails/jail1//boot

Hello,

I'm in the same position, 7.1 host upgraded to 7.2 using "freebsd-update upgrade", ezjail setup upgraded using "ezjail-admin update -u/install" and then left with 7.1 files within the jails /etc directories.

A quick and dirty way to make mergemaster work is adding a symbolic link like this:

    ln -s /usr/jails/basejail /

and then trying to run mergemaster, e.g.:

    mergemaster -iFU -D /var/jails/jail1

Regards,
Panagiotis

Hello thanks for your reply.
Well i found out that mergemaster on a 7.1 and below machine gave the same error but it does not errors out, whereas 7.2 and higher version gives a fatal error.

This is on my 7.2 system

cd /usr/src/etc/..; install -o root -g wheel -m 444  COPYRIGHT

/var/tmp/temproot/

install -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/src/etc/../sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC.hints
/var/tmp/temproot/boot/device.hints

*** Beginning comparison

  *** Checking /usr/jails/test//etc/rc.d for stale files

  *** No stale files found

 *** There is no installed version of ./boot/device.hints

install: mkdir /usr/jails/test//boot: File exists
install: /usr/jails/test//boot: No such file or directory

*** FATAL ERROR: Unable to install ./boot/device.hints to

/usr/jails/test//boot

jailhost_co test #

On my 7.1 system mergemaster gives the same error only tells you to merge it by hand and continuous after that.

cd /usr/src/etc/..; install -o root -g wheel -m 444  COPYRIGHT
/var/tmp/temproot/
install -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/src/etc/../sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints
/var/tmp/temproot/boot/device.hints

*** Beginning comparison

*** Checking /usr/jails/ftp/etc/rc.d for stale files

*** No stale files found

*** There is no installed version of ./boot/device.hints

install: mkdir /usr/jails/ftp/boot: File exists
install: /usr/jails/ftp/boot: No such file or directory
  *** Problem installing ./boot/device.hints, it will remain to merge
by hand
*** Temp ./etc/bluetooth/hcsecd.conf and installed have the same CVS
Id, deleting

The way i solved this is to create a file called mergemaster.rc in /etc/ on the host machine.
In that file i have the following line.

IGNORE_FILES='/boot/device.hints /etc/motd /etc/hosts'

The part that matters is the /boot/device.hints line!

So no links that needs to be created and so on.
You can leave the file if you mergemaster the host itself.
I have also put this issue on the  freebsd-stable list but got 0 response.

--
*Johan Hendriks*

Tel: +31 (0)251 229098
Fax: +31 (0)251 212016
email: j.hendriks AT schavemaker DOT com <mailto:j.hendriks AT schavemaker DOT com>
web: http://www.schavemaker.com