ezjail downloading souce for basejail

Hi folks...
I've used ezjail on 4-5 systems over the last 5 years and for the first time encoutered a problem where ezjail-admin install was attempting to download the source for the basejail but was failing (I'll explain that in a sec).
This is a Minimal install of FreeBSD 6.3 from CDROM with the full source and ports collection installed.
Ezjail was installed from the local ports collection because pkg_add -r failed (for whatever reason.. I didnt persue it)
"ezjail-admin install" failed on the FTP download for the basejail creation  because ftp.freebsd.org had moved 6.3-RELEASE to an archive because 6.4-RELEASE is out.
To get around this I *thought* I could "make buildworld" and with the local source compiled I expected ezjail-admin install to create the basejail from the locally compiled files as it does with ezjail-admin update.
Instead ezjail-admin went looking for the FTP download again (and failed).
I got out of the sittuation by locating a mirror site that still had 6.3-RELEASE and provided that using the -h switch.
My question is - why did ezjail-admin need to go to the FTP site if I'd just completed make buildworld?
I started using ezjail with older versions that didnt do the ftp download on install so perhaps I'm just confused :p
After installing from the ports and completing make buildword do I still need to do ezjail-admin install to create the initial basejail or can I just skip to ezjail-admin update?
Thanks for any pointers.
Cheers,
Shane