Basejail not placed in new jail

System is running FBSD 8.0-STABLE

Existing jails were created with 3.2 or a little less I believe.

I did a 'portupgrade ezjail' after I updated the ports tree with portsnap earlier today.

Now when I try to create a new jail apparently the basejail is not placed in the directory. Here's the output when I execute 'ezjail-admin start <newjailname>'

First the jail creation:

server1# ezjail-admin create fsunrep XX.YY.ZZ.AA
/data/jails/fsunrep/.
/data/jails/fsunrep/./var
/data/jails/fsunrep/./var/empty
0 blocks
Warning: Some services already seem to be listening on ...
<the usual warning>

And the attemtped start:

server1# ezjail-admin start fsunrep
Configuring jails:.
Starting jails:mount: /data/jails/fsunrep/basejail: No such file or directory
df: /data/jails/fsunrep/dev: No such file or directory
mount: /data/jails/fsunrep/dev: No such file or directory
/etc/rc.d/jail: WARNING: devfs_domount(): Unable to mount devfs on /data/jails/fsunrep/dev
/etc/rc.d/jail: WARNING: devfs_mount_jail: devfs was not mounted on /data/jails/fsunrep/dev
cd: can't cd to /data/jails/fsunrep/dev
mount: /data/jails/fsunrep/dev: No such file or directory
 cannot start jail "fsunrep":
jail: getpwnam: root: No such file or directory
.
Error: Could not start fsunrep.
  You need to start it by hand.

The jail's directory is where i have directed it to be via ezjail.conf - in /data/jails and this is no change from previous.

The existing jails start and stop just fine, however.

Any help is much appreciated thanks in advance!