Re: [ezjail] Proper Steps to Update Host & Jails

Am 30.01.2014 um 21:30 schrieb Werner Thie <werner AT thieprojects DOT ch>:

> Hi all
>
> What I'm asking myself is, do we have now with FreeBSD10 other viable alternatives to jails and ezjail specifically. In the past I made it a habit to run a VM with a FreeBSD version in sync with the production servers, allowing me to do dry runs of the whole jail updating. I did this just to feel safe that what I was trying to achieve (usually minimal downtime) also went down as planned. Doing this for several years now and with quite a few jails involved, this scheme starts to feel creaky and old.
>
> What would ezjail users out there chose today instead of ezjail?
>
> I used ezjail mainly because of the 'shared' part and the promise that master machine and jails can be kept in lockstep when updates arise.
>
> After the recent discussions I'm not sure, that I will migrate towards FreeBSD10 but rather flatten the iron, do a fresh install and work with full VM's.
>
> Werner

Hi Werner,

I think zjail can do both „thin“ and „fat“ jails.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zjails/

I haven’t had the time to play enough with it, though.

FreeBSD 10 comes with its own hypervisor: bhyve

I believe, though, that management-software for it is scarce at this moment, unfortunately…