Re: [ezjail] ezjail and FreeBSD 10-Release - Jails won't start

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Dirk Engling <erdgeist AT erdgeist DOT org> wrote:
On 22.01.14 20:03, Jeff Hinrichs wrote:

> There seems to be a battle going on between ezjail and jail.conf

Well, it's not actually a battle, just a developer who rewrote the jail
tool without putting too much thought into what features are actually
used and needed. Now we're stuck with jail(8) and a jail.conf format
that is very hard to parse and manipulate in shell and where essential
tools to parse and manipulate it are absent from the base system.

> Starting jails: cannot start jail  "shipping.delasco.com
> <http://shipping.delasco.com>":
> jail: "shipping_delasco_com" already exists

This usually means that the jail has been run by another instance
already, I guess rc.d/jail is responsible. Can you check with jls if
there's really a shipping_delasco_com running?

[jlh@neptune /]$ jls
   JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
     1  172.16.1.105    shipping.delasco.com          /usr/jails/shipping.delasco.com

[jlh@neptune /]$ jls -v
   JID  Hostname                      Path
        Name                          State
        CPUSetID
        IP Address(es)
     1  shipping.delasco.com          /usr/jails/shipping.delasco.com
        shipping_delasco_com          ACTIVE
        2
        172.16.1.105

I am unsure if ACTIVE means running. Running top and showin JIDs, shows '/usr/sbin/syslogd -ss' running on JID=1
It would have gotten that from my flavour.  So it is running but I can not console into it.

[jlh@neptune /]$ sudo ezjail-admin console shipping.delasco.com
Password:
Error: Jail shipping.delasco.com appears not to be running
  Start it first, or use 'ezjail-admin console -f shipping.delasco.com' to force start.

> -- Trying to "Start by hand"
> [jlh@neptune /]$ /etc/rc.d/jail start shipping.delasco.com
> <http://shipping.delasco.com>
> Starting jails:/etc/rc.d/jail: WARNING: Invalid configuration for
> shipping_delasco_com  (no jail.conf, no hostname, or no path).   Jail
> shipping_delasco_com was ignored.

It might be a little confusing now, but back in the day that would have
meant to just setup all jail config variables and re-run rc.d/jail :(

> Ok, I am lost here.  I've been through the docs, but I've got to be
> missing something.
> Help.

Hope that helps a little. I am lost, too. Clearly development in jail's
core has run astray. I need to come up with something smart before
FreeBSD 11.
I was wondering if someone in core failed to look at the ecosystem and just went off on their own.

  erdgeist