Re: [ezjail] disk labeling

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 16:31, Matt Simerson wrote:
> You need at least as much disk swap as you have RAM. The reasons
> should be obvious, but if you don't know, I recommend heading over to
> Berkeley iTunes University and downloading one of their CS courses
> like CS162.  Did I mention it's free?   http://itunes.berkeley.edu/
> The other way to learn is wait until one of your machines is
> overloaded and starts swapping heavily. The "why" gets real clear,
> real fast. :-)
First, its not necessary to grow the Swap partition, you can simply swapon a
second one should the need arise. IIRC there is even a decent performance
gain when you distribute swap over more then one drive.
And then, since i don't have itunes the link you provided is useless to me and
and googling only yields a set of pdf. Apperantly CS162 is a complete course
on OS programming.
I lack the time to read all that, so could you please elaborate on why you
think one needs atleast as much swap as RAM, because it really doesnt strike
me as obvious. AFAIK the 2*RAM rule of thumb is from the dark ages of
Megabyte-measured RAM.

I'd really be grateful for some pointers regarding the issue, its not that i
dont wanna learn if i am incorrect, Its just that i cannot read all the pdf
of a whole Course to find an answer.

Thanks in advance,
Helge