Re: [ezjail] noob question: read-only mounted via nullfs is *really* readonly?

On Monday 05 March 2007 11:11 pm, Helge Rohde wrote:
> fresh ezjail with a fresh 6.2 World. when i try to do use the ports
> (as root from within the jail) i get nothing but complains about
> various /usr/ports subdirs being readonly, e.g.
> "/usr/ports/packages/: Read-only file system"
>
> Is this the way it is supposed to work? I thought the magic was that
> from within the jail it all seems rw but any changes arent really
> written to the nullfs mounted device?
> Bottom line: I cant put the nullfs mounted ports to their intended
> use.
>
> Might be lack of sleep on my part tho, but i feel outwitted, would be
> grateful for any hints/ideas °_°

Hi Helge,

I can sympathize :D

It's been awhile since I installed the ezjail port, although I've been
using it constantly since. So, I assume you created the ports tree as
directed and you have a /usr/jails/basejail with ports there?

If I recall, everything pretty much just worked although I read the
ezjail-admin man page quite a bit while I was figuring things out.

I remember either during port install or at some other point being asked
how I wanted to handle ports. I believe I just copied the host system
ports tree over.

By checking out the default flavor (ezjail-admin create -f default
newjail.hostname.com x.x.x.x), I learned quite a bit, and it certainly
was up and running faster than the jail I made by hand ;)

Once you dial in flavors, it's just fantastic to have a fresh webserver
with apache2/php5/mysql5, configured and ready to go in less than 20
seconds!

Good luck!
-matt

--