noob question: read-only mounted via nullfs is *really* readonly?

fresh ezjail with a fresh 6.2 World. when i try to do use the ports (as root
from within the jail) i get nothing but complains about various /usr/ports
subdirs being readonly, e.g. "/usr/ports/packages/: Read-only file system"

Is this the way it is supposed to work? I thought the magic was that from
within the jail it all seems rw but any changes arent really written to the
nullfs mounted device?
Bottom line: I cant put the nullfs mounted ports to their intended use.

Might be lack of sleep on my part tho, but i feel outwitted, would be grateful
for any hints/ideas °_°

Helge