Re: [ezjail] use ezjail to administrate different freebsd releases on the same host

On 6 jun. 2014, at 13:55, Raimund Sacherer <rs AT logitravel DOT com> wrote:
> I am new to freebsd and I am looking around for a comfortable way to manage jails. I could do it without tools but it seems easier to do it with them.
>
> I read the man-pages and online documentatin for ezjail but I did not find an answer to this question:
>
> Can I manage different releases with ezjail?
>
> I saw that I can create a different base system then the host is running, but everywhere it says "a basesystem". can I manage more than one basesystem e.g. to have a jail with 10.0, one with 9.2?
>
> I would like to install 10 for the host and then 9.2 in a jail for zimbra, which does not work with 10, but then I want to create a couple more jails for release 10.

Your question has more to do with the FreeBSD jail functionality in general. As jails are very lightweight, they share the kernel with the host system. It’s therefore not recommended (although it might work partially in practice) to use a version X user land together with a version Y kernel.

Regards,
Hans