Re: [ezjail] ezjail-admin vs. make.conf

Dirk Engling wrote:
> Dear fellow hackers,
>
> while I'm ironing out the last wrinkles in ezjail to get it ready for
> 3.1 release, containing some newjail features, I encountered some things
> I'd like to get feedback from you.
>
> Currently ezjail-admin does automatically, what normally only flavours
> should do: put a convenience-make.conf into the jail:
>
>   # A ports collection inside jails is hardly useful w/o an appropriate
>   # /etc/make.conf.
>   if [ -f "${ezjail_examples}/example/etc/make.conf" -a ! -f
> "${ezjail_jailtemplate}/etc/make.conf" ]; then
>     cp -p "${ezjail_examples}/example/etc/make.conf"
> "${ezjail_jailtemplate}/etc/"
>     echo "Note: a non-standard /etc/make.conf was copied to the template
> jail in order to get the ports collection running inside jails."
>   fi
>
> This was invented way before flavours were introduced. Now, some tools
> like portupgrade also break when their INDEXDIR is not writable.
> However, I am not fond of chasing any given inconvenience.
>
> I am considering removing this behaviour alltogether and move it to
> where it should live: in the example flavour. Is there any reason not to
> do so? Would it create confusion to change the behaviour?

It's good to make things simpler and I think removing this simplifies
things, so I say removing it is a good idea :)

Still though, updating and installing the ports tree does seem to be part
of the "core functionality" of ezjail.  Perhaps modifying the default
flavour to have a jail/ports friendly make.conf would cover all the
approaches to port installation? It could be documented inside the
make.conf itself and in the ezjail and ezjail-admin manual pages so no
message would be needed.

Regards,

gtodd

ps: Hopefully we can all help to add a bit more documentation to the
ezjail-admin manual page about upgrading/updating in general. Perhaps a
"Updating" section rather than just covering the process under the various
 ezjail-admin [subcommand] examples.

Besides documenting "-u" and the use of freebsd-update (heheh :-D they
still boggle me heheh) this could cover the merits of various approaches
to packages and ports like mounting/exporting a single /usr/ports to all
jails versus each jail having their own, or using a specific jail as a
"build host" to create "approved" binaries, etc. etc. I will see what I
can dig up from my own notes and then post it to the list for correction,
heated debate, and embarrassing slap downs ;-)