Re: [ezjail] patch: ezjail_default_interface option

Dirk Engling wrote:
On 1/19/10 9:14 PM, Panagiotis Christias wrote:

ezjail.conf and a "-I interface" option to ezjail-admin. Saves you the
trouble of manually editing the config file of every newly created jail.

Hi,

thanks for the patch, however, I can't accept it. I consider the auto
configuration feature from /etc/rc.d/jail short sighted, dangerous and
stupidly implemented and will not support it in ezjail. The fact alone
that it will automatically take down an ip address from my interfaces
once I set the interface-variable makes me shiver inside.

Address configuration simply does not belong in the jail startup script.
You should also consider setting up your ip address range at boot time
using the very handy ipv4_addrs variable.

Well, that is your point of view and I respect it. On the other hand, the auto configuration feature is extremely convenient, especially when you create temporary jails or when you move jails around, from one host to another. ThI'll take a look at ipv4_addrs and check how it can be used at any occasion other than boot time.

Btw, my patch also includes a small addition to ezjail-admin.1 that documents the "update -u" option.

Regards,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis J. Christias    Network Management Center
p.christias AT noc.ntua DOT gr    National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE