Re: [ezjail] Re: Jails won't start without enabled daemons

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Spil Oss wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Spil Oss <spil.oss AT googlemail DOT com> wrote:
Hi All,

Just had some problems with starting jails.

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ezjail start build

would return normally, nothing out of order to be found in
/var/log/jail_build_console.log
Changing the start command to /bin/sh -x /etc/rc indicated that
nothing was failing.

Finally found out that I must have at least one daemon enabled in the
jail for it to start.

This behaviour I don't recall from before. Is it new or must there
always be a daemon to start in /etc/rc.conf(.local)?

Kind regards,

Spil.

Forgot to mention a number of things.

- After a start for the jail, you can't start it again since the
/var/run/jail_build.id file exists
- If you stop all processes in a jail, the jail is gone and can't be
started again since the /var/run/jail_build.id file exists

A bit of a tangent, but on the subject of silent jail startup failures another one to look out for is the number of IPs you have configured in the jail. There is a sysctl "security.jail.jail_max_af_ips" and if you exceed the default number, the jail won't start and there will be no log information pointing you to a cause...

Charles

Kind regards,

Spil.