Re: [ezjail] patch: ezjail_default_flavour option

Dirk Engling wrote:
On 1/14/10 12:30 AM, Panagiotis Christias wrote:

here is another small patch that adds a new ezjail_default_flavour
option in ezjail.conf. It does what its name implies.

Oh nice, this is what I wanted to implement just now.

ps. also included some minor fixes; leftovers of the default flavour to
example renaming.

Yeah, I've just seen them, too when scrolling through the code.

I've got another idea, now after appropriately naming the example
flavour, wouldn't it be nice to assist in setting up a more helpful
flavour that may act as a default flavour by gathering some information
during ezjail-admin install and putting it into that new flavour?

/etc/localtime and /etc/resolv.conf would be good candidates to have
prepared for new jails. Anything else? Any suggestions for this
flavour's name? Maybe it should be put as a an example for default in
ezjail.conf?

Hello,

the flavour we are currently using for our jails does more or less what sysinstall would do during the final stage of FreeBSD installation. That is setting the root password (which is actually not necessary..), /etc/localtime and /etc/resolv.conf. Finally, downloads a configurable script that we use for all FreeBSD installations (jail and non-jail).

Since that script is configurable and takes some time to complete we run it manually. It sets up, modifies or installs things like:
 - startup scripts and environment (.cshrc, /etc/cshrc etc)
- system files and parameters (aliases, make.conf, resolv.conf, hosts.allow, sysctl.conf, syslog.conf, newsyslog.conf, cvsup files)
 - sshd and ssh publickeys
 - updates using freebsd-update
 - sendmail
 - ports tree using portsnap
 - crontab jobs (ntpdate, freebsd-update, portsnap, ezjail-admin update)
 - few utilities (portupgrade, portaudit, vim-lite, rsync, lsof, perl)
 - ezjail
 - bacula
 - net-snmp
 - optionally famp (apache, mysql, php)

That may give you some ideas. As for the name of the flavour "basic" or "example".

Regards,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis J. Christias    Network Management Center
p.christias AT noc.ntua DOT gr    National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE